7 Best Dessert Spots in Durham
Dessert makes everything better! Durham does not disappoint when it come to dessert. As we continue our series of the Best Durham Restaurants, we will be highlighting 7 of our favorite dessert spots. Enjoy a weekend at the Arrowhead Inn relaxing; explore all that the area has to offer and enjoy a sweet treat at one of these delicious places for dessert in Durham, NC.
1. Guglhupf: Having grown up in Germany where farmers markets and local bakers were in abundance, Claudia Kemmet-Cooper, owner of Gulfhupf, learned early on that food was more than sustenance. Claudia has brought the delicious tradition from Germany to Durham and Chapel Hill with Gulghupf. Offering a variety of cakes, tarts, danishes and so much more giving a nod to its Southern German roots and emphasizing local and seasonal ingredients. You are bound to find a delicious dessert here.
2. The Parlour was founded in 2011 by Toni and Vanessa Mazuz serving homemade ice cream with all the best ingredients. The business spent two years selling ice cream all over the Triangle from a converted school bus. In April of 2013, they opened a permanent location in the heart of downtown Durham. In addition to selling delicious homemade ice cream inspired by the seasons, favorite cookbooks and childhood ice cream memories; the Parlour offers desserts and cold and warm beverages. Enjoy the best ice cream in the Triangle with your love or a group of friends.
3. Monuts started in 2011 as a donut stand operating off of a tricycle near the Durham Farmer’s Market and has now grown into a full service restaurant and bakery. Monuts pairs bold ethnic flavors with seasonal and local ingredients. Everything is made from scratch, by hand and with natural ingredients. Enjoy delicious pastries, cookies and donuts all day long.
4. Loaf started as a vendor at the Durham Farmers Market and has grown to offering the best breads, pastries and cakes. In 2011, Loaf’s signature bread company, expanded to include a bakery that is a go to spot for dessert in Durham. Their signature cookies, cakes and pastries highlight local seasonal ingredients made fresh daily. Do not miss the opportunity to enjoy dessert at Loaf during your time in Durham.
5. Nantucket Grill Bakery: Opening in 1997, Nantucket Grill had one mission: to bring the essence of the New England Style cuisine they love and share it with everyone. This mission has carried over into their to-die-for cakes and desserts. Pastry chefs are ready to create your next dessert, specialty cakes or customized sheet cake for you. Unique cakes include a flavor of the month featuring in season flavors, coconut, chocolate strawberry shortcake (April-August), Chocolate Peanut Butter, Pina Paradise and much more. Make your taste buds sing as you enjoy a delectable cake!
6. Ninth Street Bakery opened in the spring of 1981 as a retail bakery and café. It has grown and changed since its inception but it continues to be a Durham favorite. In front of the wholesale plant sits the retail bakery. Selling delicious pastries, cookies, cakes and much more. Ninth Street Bakery has something for everyone including vegan and allergy friendly options!
7. Mad Hatter’s Café and Bakeshop brings really good food to life with fresh, local ingredients and wholesome recipes in their delicious café and bakeshop. Seasonal ingredients and traditional favorites fill their delicious cakes, pies, pastries and cookies. Since 2001 Mad Hatter’s Café and Bakeshop has been crafting delicious desserts and so much more. This is the perfect place to gather and enjoy a sweet treat.
While enjoying your getaway to our Durham bed and breakfast, be sure to check out these unique Durham dessert spots.